atai Life Sciences Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Corporate Update
-Positive topline results from COMP360’s Phase 2b study
-RL-007 Phase 2a topline data in cognitive impairment associated with schizophrenia expected end of Q4
-Continued progress across 11 therapeutic programs, including initiation of Perception’s Phase 2a and DemeRx’s Phase 1/2 trials as well as interim Phase 2a RL-007 readout of first cohort
-Launch of atai Impact, a philanthropic program to harness the power of innovative mental health approaches for social change
-Company to host a webcast and conference call today at 08:30am EST
atai Life Sciences N.V. (NASDAQ: ATAI) , a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company aiming to transform the treatment of mental health disorders, today reported its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2021, and provided its corporate update.
Following our IPO in June, we continue to see positive momentum. We have 11 therapeutic programs underway and each clinical development milestone marks progress towards achieving our vision to heal mental health disorders so that everyone, everywhere can live a more fulfilled life.Florian Brand, CEO and Co-Founder
“In response to the heterogeneity of the mental health patient population, we are developing a pharmacologically diverse array of treatments. We intend to support these treatments with innovative digital therapeutics and robust insights from our multi-modal data approach. Our ultimate goal is to tailor our treatments to individual patient needs by using a diverse set of biomarkers. We anticipate further growth of our drug development pipeline and our enabling technologies through our ‘buy and build’ approach and will remain highly active in business development.
“We recently initiated two new clinical trials: a Phase 2a trial with PCN-101 (R-ketamine) for treatment-resistant depression and a Phase 1/2 trial with DMX-1002 (ibogaine) in opioid use disorder. In terms of clinical readouts, just last week we saw positive Phase 2b data from COMPASS Pathways, the first company we funded to rigorously research the potential of psychedelics. This clinical trial demonstrated the rapid onset of effect, large effect size, and durability of COMP360 (a proprietary synthetic formulation of psilocybin) in treatment-resistant depression. We expect another important clinical readout before the end of the year for RL-007 in cognitive impairment associated with schizophrenia.
“The narrow focus on mental health treatments means that every single trial result offers important insights not only for the program in question but for all our programs, allowing us to accelerate the development of novel treatments for patients in need.”
Program Details: COMP360 is a proprietary formulation of synthetic psilocybin, a 5-HT2A-R agonist being developed as an oral, potentially rapid-acting antidepressant.
- In November, COMPASS announced positive topline results from its Phase 2b randomized, controlled, double-blind, dose-controlled trial of COMP360 psilocybin therapy for treatment-resistant depression.
- The 233-patient study met its primary endpoint, showing a 6.6-point reduction on the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) total score from baseline to 3 weeks when comparing the 25mg dose to the 1mg dose.
- COMP360 also showed both rapid response and durability of efficacy. Rapid onset of action with statistically significant treatment differences between the 25mg vs 1mg groups were apparent the day after COMP360 psilocybin administration. Responder rates at week 12 based upon a ≥50% decrease in MADRS total score from baseline were 32.9% and 16.4% for psilocybin doses of 25mg and 1mg respectively. Remitter rates at week 12 based upon a MADRS total score ≤10 were 26.6% and 11.4% for psilocybin doses of 25mg and 1mg respectively.
- COMP360 was generally well tolerated.
- A pivotal Phase 3 study is anticipated to launch in 2022.
Affiliate: COMPASS Pathways
Program Details: PCN-101 is a parenteral formulation of R-ketamine, a glutamatergic modulator being developed as a potentially rapid-acting antidepressant, with the potential for at-home treatment.
- In September 2021, Perception Neuroscience initiated the Phase 2 trial of PCN-101 (R-ketamine) for TRD. This randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial is designed to assess the efficacy, safety, dose response and duration of action in patients with TRD.
- Topline data are expected at the end of 2022.
Affiliate: Perception Neuroscience
Program Details: RL-007, a cholinergic, glutamatergic and GABA-B receptor modulator, is an orally available compound that is being developed for the treatment of cognitive impairments associated with schizophrenia (CIAS). The currently active open-label, multi-dose, biomarker-focused Phase 2a trial of RL-007 in patients with CIAS is designed to evaluate the compound’s safety, tolerability and its impact on electroencephalogram-based biomarkers.
- Following the encouraging results of a recently completed interim analysis of Quantitative Electroencephalogram (qEEG) data from the eight patients in the first cohort, atai advanced a portion of a future milestone payment aiming to accelerate initiation of the subsequent trial, which, broadly, will be a double-blind, placebo controlled, proof-of-concept study focused on more traditional cognitive endpoints, including subsets of the MATRICS battery.
- Topline data are expected by the end of 2021.
Affiliate: Recognify Life Sciences
GRX-917 (deuterated etifoxine):
Program Details: GRX-917 is an oral formulation of a deuterated version of etifoxine, a mitochondrial translocator protein agonist, designed to provide potentially rapid anxiolytic activity with improved tolerability compared to current treatments for anxiety in the United States.
- The Phase 1 randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial of GRX-917 is designed to evaluate the compound’s safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, as well as pharmacodynamics using qEEG. We have recently completed the single ascending dose (SAD) component of the trial, and dosing in the multiple ascending dose (MAD) component is ongoing.
- Topline data are expected in mid-2022.
Affiliate: GABA Therapeutics
Program Details: DMX-1002 is an oral formulation of ibogaine, a cholinergic, glutamatergic and monoaminergic receptor modulator being developed for the treatment of opioid use disorder (OUD).
- In September 2021, DemeRx IB dosed the first subject in a Phase 1/2a trial of DMX-1002. This trial is designed to assess the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and efficacy of DMX-1002 and will inform future studies in patients with OUD.
- Topline safety data are expected in early 2022.
Affiliate: DemeRx IB
Q3 and Recent Corporate Updates
- Launched PsyProtix, a precision psychiatry company creating new chemical entities targeting mitochondrial dysfunction related to TRD and other mental health conditions. PsyProtix is currently engaged in discovery and preclinical development and expects to launch clinical trials in 2023.
- Created and pharmacologically tested over 250 novel compounds at EntheogeniX based upon structures generated using computational chemistry approach. Lead candidate selection is currently ongoing.
- Entered into an expanded agreement with strategic partner IntelGenx, building on positive early feasibility data, to support IntelGenx’s graduation from the TSX Venture Exchange to the Toronto Stock Exchange. As part of the strategic partnership, IntelGenx has exclusively partnered with atai to develop formulations of compounds for the prevention or treatment of mental health disorders.
- Completed a proof-of-principle study demonstrating that InnarisBio’s sol-gel based excipient technology can effectively transport compounds from the nose directly to the brain in an animal model. InnarisBio is developing its nose-to-brain excipient technology to facilitate potentially rapid, non-invasive entry into the brain for use across various drug candidates in atai’s pipeline, including Revixia, Neuronasal, and DemeRx.
- Initiated a user acceptability testing of our digital therapeutics (DTx) app, one of our key enabling technologies, in patients with TRD receiving ketamine treatment.
- In addition, we have assembled a proof-of-concept, EEG- and VR-based digital therapeutic device to support patients undergoing psychedelic therapy, and we have kicked off user feedback testing to optimize across product parameters.
- Both technologies are expected to be implemented in Viridia and Revixia Phase 1 trials and DemeRx IB Phase 2 trial starting next year.
- Launched atai Impact, atai’s philanthropic program, established to support and collaborate with nonprofits and institutions that share atai Life Sciences’ vision, with the key pillars of: advancing education, expanding access, and supporting the wider ecosystem of mental health care. atai Impact has an initial focus on the psychedelics sector, given its emerging potential in tackling the growing mental health crisis. Its formation is underpinned by atai’s belief that harmonization across commercial and non-profit entities represents the best path forward to harness the power of innovative mental health approaches for positive social change. The atai Impact program will be initially funded by 1% of the gross proceeds from our June 2021 IPO and founders’ and shareholders’ contributions.
Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results
Cash and Cash Equivalents
Cash and cash equivalents totaled $430.3 million as of September 30, 2021, compared to $97.2 million as of December 31, 2020. The nine month increase of $333.1 million is attributed to net proceeds of $231.6 million from atai’s IPO, net proceeds of $166.4 million from Series C and Series D and common stock issuances, $20.0 million of license revenue proceeds, and $10.1 million proceeds from the sale of investments and issuance and conversion of convertible notes. Offsetting were cash payments of $32.6 million for investments in platform companies and other assets, and $62.4 million in net operating expenses and effect of foreign exchange rate changes.
Operating Costs and Expenses
Research and development (R&D) expenses were $13.4 million and $35.0 million for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021, respectively, as compared to $3.1 million and $8.1 million for the same prior year periods. The increase of $10.3 million and $26.9 million, respectively, were attributable to personnel costs, including stock-based compensation expense, and increased contract research organization expenses related to advancements in atai’s R&D programs.
atai recorded acquisition of in-process R&D expense of $9.0 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2021, relating to its investments in Neuronasal and InnarisBio.
General and administrative expenses for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021 were $20.3 million and $66.9 million, respectively, as compared to $4.3 million and $8.7 million in the same prior year periods. The increases of $16.0 million and $58.2 million, respectively, were attributable to personnel costs, including stock-based compensation expense, professional fees, and other costs related to support of atai’s platform growth and public company requirements.
Total stock-based compensation expense for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021 was $12.2 million and $50.0 million, respectively, as compared to $2.1 and $2.2 for the comparable prior year periods, reflecting the recognition of expense related to the achievement of IPO performance-based partial vesting conditions.
Net loss attributable to atai shareholders for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021 was $31.2 million and $78.9 million, respectively, as compared to $83.2 million and $83.2 million for the comparable prior year periods.
Conference Call Information
atai will host a conference call and live audio webcast today at 08:30am EST to discuss its financial results and provide a corporate update. To access the live conference call, please dial 877-407-3982 from the United States, or +1 (201) 493-6780 internationally, using the conference ID: 13724750. The live and archived webca of this call will be available in the “Events” section of the atai Life Sciences website at ir.atai.life. An archived copy of the webcast will be available on the atai website for at least 30 days after the conference call.
To view the original press release in its entirety click here